Wilford Shows He Has Strong Legs, Too

WORCESTER--In Harvard's 25-17 win at Holy Cross on Saturday, senior quarterback Brad Wilford continued to establish himself as a credible running threat.

At 6'3, 215, Wilford is no ballet dancer, but he has shown the ability to find seams and to run the option well. He was sacked six times for 45 yards, but he also evaded the rush several times, stepping up in the pocket to complete passes down the field. Last week, Wilford ripped off a 41-yard run in the Crimson's 24-7 win over Columbia. He finished with 71 yards on 10 carries and added to that total with 31 yards on 15 carries against the Crusaders. Take out the six sacks for -45 yards, which all count in Wilford's rushing total, and he ran nine times for 76 yards.

Murphy said he told Wilford to lay off the burritos over the summer, and the bean-free lifestyle has paid off.

In the first quarter, Wilford took off on a drunken scramble, willing himself forward after being tripped by defensive end David Puloka. Wilford stumbled for a 13-yard gain and a first down.

Wilford ran the option effectively to both sides, showing that he can pitch the ball with the left hand as well as the right.

Wilford scrambled for positive gains after Crusader pressure several times, and he also was effective running the quarterback draw. One draw went for 37 yards on second-and-18, Wilford's second long run in as many weeks.

When senior linebacker Isaiah Kacyvenski recovered a lateral at the Holy Cross 12, Harvard immediately went to an option left. Wilford made a beautiful fake pitch that left linebacker Patrick Colgan looking foolish and ran in untouched for Harvard's third touchdown.

Wilford didn't do such a bad job throwing the ball, either. He completed 17-of-29 for 202 yards, two touchdowns and a two-point conversion, flashing the strong arm that helped him earn the starting job this year. He threw to the sidelines with authority, giving the Crimson offense a dimension it lacked last year.

As if that weren't enough, Wilford also did a great job blocking on junior receiver Terrence Patterson's two reverses. He knocked down linebacker John Aloisi, the Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week, in the third quarter on a 25-yard reverse and blocked him again in the fourth quarter on a 15-yard reverse.