Mingle with dictators

So you're an aspiring gov jock anxious to meet important people, do important-sounding things and schmooze with seemingly important fellow politicos all day long.

Just a few years ago, there was only one place on campus for you--to the Institute of Politics (IOP) you would go.

But now a new and improved Weatherhead Center for International Affairs (WCIA) has entered the political student-group game, touting its small size and easy access to visiting fellows.

WCIA Co-president Aadil T. Ginwala '00, who was once involved with the IOP, says his organization provides a much more intimate--and less bureaucratic--setting for students interested in learning about politics and international relations.

"We foster a non-competitive camaraderie because of our structure and the open, straightforward, friendly board selection process," writes Ginwala in an e-mail message.

Ten students head the WCIA, according to Ginwala's co-president, Melissa W. Inouye '01, with more than 300 students on the group's e-mail list. Even more participate in many informal capacities, such as visiting a study group or attending lectures.

The group packed Sanders Theatre last year when it sponsored the visit of United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan and hopes to organize similar headline-events this year.

"We are creating new opportunities for the student body," Inouye says.