Law School Professor Rescued At Sea

Most Harvard students are forced to only ponder the lifeboat dilemma in Professor of Government Michael Sandel's Moral Reasoning 22: "Justice."

Climenko Professor of Law Charles J. Ogletree discovered the darker side of the sea when a simple fishing expedition turned into a harrowing tale.

In a story that is a cross between

"Gilligan's Island" and The Perfect Storm, Ogletree, his elderly father-in-law, a former student, a seasoned captain and other passengers lost power to their engine, received an unexpected helping hand, weathered a severe storm and ultimately had a brush with death.

At a reunion of the troubled ship's crew and their rescuers on Monday, they talked about the near catastrophe in late August as in the past, and they celebrated the bonds formed out of that distressful episode.

But they can also lucidly recount that day's events, and how they had worried for their lives more as the hours passed.

It began in the early morning of Aug. 29 when the crew departed in the Escort, an old, heavy, wooden 32-foot fishing boat on a day-long trip of yellow-fin tuna fishing.

The members of the crew left Gay Head's in Menemsha Harbor in Martha's Vineyard at 5 a.m. Although they expected to return in the early evening, it would not be until 9:30 the next morning that they would return.

A Smooth Start

For most of the day, the sea was relatively calm, with only a few swells. Ogletree and Dennis Sweet, an attorney in Jackson, Miss. who was a former student and a life-long fishing friend of Ogletree, were having a good fishing day.