M., W. Golf Struggle in '98-'99

Perhaps Harvard links mastery has to wait until after graduation when multi million dollar deals hinge on shooting par.

With a team composed chiefly of a freshman and four sophomores against just one senior, the Harvard men's golf team struggled mightily this season. Its female counterparts fared even worse.

For the men, the fall golf season opened in pasture-plentiful Hanover, N.H. for the Dartmouth Invitational from Sept. 26-27. In a trend that would continue throughout the season, inconsistent play by the team produced a tenth place finish out of a field of 16.

The inability to match opening round success followed the Crimson to the Toski Invitational the next week, where a 303 first day combined score rose to 319, as the team fell from sixth to ninth place.

While most of its finishes hovered around tenth place, Harvard posted its best numbers at the Army Invitational on Oct. 10-11 where it ended in seventh.

The Crimson appeared to improve slowly every week through the fall season. Keying Harvard's asymptotic rise was captain Doug MacBean along with sophomores Kaj Vazzales, Matthew Dost, Jack Lynch, Rob Erikson--a transfer--and freshman Andrew Malcolm.

"The team is strong," MacBean said. "Four of our guys are freshmen and sophomores so we have a lot to look forward to."

Harvard offered a glimpse at its true potential in the NEIGA Tournament where it finished a very respectable ninth out of a competitive field of 47.

Battling 25 mph winds, Dost and Vazzales led the team with combined scores of 156, while MacBean was one stroke back at 157 (76, 82).