UHS is Committed to Protecting Confidentiality

Letters

To the editors:

Dan Epstein's article, "Ignorance Can Be Lethal" (April 30) focuses much needed attention on the serious issue of obtaining essential medical assessment of a student or guest who presents a severe and potentially life threatening level of intoxication. The scenario described indicated a need for prompt intervention. A call to HUHS's 24-Hour Emergency line at 495-5711 would have provided advice and confidential help. HUHS's primary concern is the safety and well-being of the student or guest and the need to provide timely assessment and intervention in order to support recovery and avoid grave injury. Clinicians will only seek that information which is necessary to effectively assess and treat the individual. If an admission to Stillman Infirmary is warranted, a list of all patients is sent daily to some administrators, including senior tutors. Only the individual's name is provided, not the diagnosis, treatment or any other confidential information. HUHS is committed but also mandated to protect the confidentiality of the individual.

The dilemma that the students faced was the feeling of individual moral obligation to obtain medical assistance for their intoxicated guest versus their concern for any personal repercussions or consequences (disciplinary or legal) they or the individual might face. This is an uncomfortable and difficult situation. Yet, the effect and consequences of inaction could be far more devastating.

HUHS has adopted a policy of asking for only the essential information needed to treat the individual and not the specific details of how this occurred and who was involved in order to strongly encourage and support students' moral obligation to assist other students and to be viewed as the safe and reasonable resource to provide prompt assistance with these issues. DAVID S. ROSENTHAL '59, M.D.   May 3, 1999 The writer is director of Harvard University Health Services.