High costs, low turnout force student groups out of the Science

MOVIE madbess

It has become a familiar theme: The movie didn't do as well as we had hoped.

Student groups eager to boost their treasuries by screening films in the Science Center are frustrated by the unreliability of profit-making.

During his first year, Jeremy N. Smith '00, now co-president of Demon magazine, says a screening of "Eraser" earned Demon precisely seven cents. "Good Will Hunting" fared much better a year ago pre-frosh weekend, raising about $1,000, but Demon has decided to quit while it's ahead.

"It all depends on the luck of the draw," Smith says. "I would agree the probable profit rarely justifies the effort extended."

Beyond the rare hit that has recouped postering, facility and film costs, student organizations have been so frustrated by turnout at the Science Center that many group leaders now say they will leave the movie business for someone else.

Poor returns at the box office--coupled with high movie costs and publicity that fails to woo $8-ticket buyers from Sony Harvard Square--may limit the Science Center's future as a student movie house.

Fatal Attraction

Demon's "Good Will Hunting" coup is atypical of student group efforts. Some organizations that have gone the movie route have actually lost money.

Hoping to make about $600, Daniel A. Lyons '00, former director of the Intercollegiate Model UN team, says his organization showed "Austin Powers" this fall. The movie instead ended up putting the team $50 in the hole.

"Dead Poets Society," shown last week, fared worse, costing the group between $200 and $300, according to Michael J. Gilbert, current co-director.

"We showed two movies this year," Gilbert said. "I doubt if we'll be showing two movies next year."

Tales of frustration abound.

The staff of Perspective magazine worked hard to publicize a winter showing of "E.T.," parading a "real-life" E.T. around dining halls to heighten interest.

But Perspective barely broke even, prompting the publication to give up on a planned showing of "Shakespeare in Love" later on this month.

"In the amount of time it takes to put on a movie, we could make double or triple that amount doing dorm crew," says Evan S. Levine '00, who heads the magazine's movie efforts. "It's not the most efficient way to make money."