W. Tennis Faces Fresno St. in NCAA Opener

A season of high expectations is about to meet its most important test.

The Harvard women's tennis team (11-11, 7-0 Ivy) will face off against Fresno State in the first round of its NCAA Regional tomorrow at William and Mary.

The No. 47 Crimson is in a tougher position than it has been in all year. Drawing a seed in the 33-48 group of the 64-team field, Harvard is up against the Bulldogs (22-6), who are ranked No. 21 nationwide.

Daunting as it may seem, the Crimson is hardly backing away from the challenge. In the first third of the season, Harvard faced a number of Top-25 teams in the nation that served to prepare it for this weekend.

The Crimson squared off against No. 8 Pepperdine, in addition to Baylor and Texas A&M, ranked No. 36 and No. 37 respectively. Though Harvard lost all three matches, it dropped 5-4 squeakers to both the Bears and the Aggies.

"We feel great about this weekend," said freshman Andrea Magyera."We have played several top teams this year, so we are ready for anyone. This is where our tough schedule will help us."

Coming off of its fourth Ivy League title in five years, and the 13th in the 19 years of Ivy League play, the Crimson is definitely excited. An extremely young team, Harvard has the opportunity to prove itself among the ranks of much older and established teams.

"We feel very confident in our play, and we have remained focused on our goal of winning the Ivies," Magyera said."Now we will move on to our NCAA goal."

No matter what hand is dealt to Harvard, the Bulldogs will not go down without a fight. Boasting one of the top programs on the circuit, Fresno State is a force to reckon with.