M. Tennis Jumps on Ivy Opponents, Goes 13-1 For the Weekend

The Harvard men's tennis team began its annual domination of the Ivy League with two sound victories this weekend at the Murr Center.

The Crimson (15-4, 2-0 Ivy) defeated Columbia (11-4, 1-1) 6-1 on Friday and returned the next day to blank Cornell (9-6, 0-2), 7-0.

The two victories bode well for the Crimson's Ivy League season.

"Columbia is always a legitimate threat," Assistant Coach Peter Mandeau said. "Any time we get a win over Columbia, we know we are doing our homework and paying attention to detail."

Because the Beren Tennis Center is undergoing renovation, Harvard faced both Ivy foes at its new indoor facility in the Murr Center. The team is now 4-0 at the Murr, having defeated No. 26 Kentucky and No. 12 Tennessee at the Crimson Challenge in February.

Columbia came into Friday's match on a three game winning streak, including a 7-0 thrashing of Cornell in its own Ivy League opener. Unfortunately for the Lions, Harvard did not roll over like the Big Red.

Harvard first found its stride in doubles, an area that has provided some frustration in recent tournament play.

In response to a string of losses, Harvard chose to rearrange its pairings for last weekend's Pepperdine match, and the changes sparked great results. The Crimson swept the doubles matches and defeated No. 17 Pepperdine, 4-3.

The Crimson continued with the new look against the Lions and swept the doubles point, taking all three matches.