M. Lax Loses a Close One

The men's lacrosse team battled in a back and forth game for sixty minutes but fell just short of a win, losing to the Hobart Statesmen 7-6 in the season's home opener.

After a two week layoff due to a cancelled game at Boston College, the Crimson (0-2) came out flat in the first period but awoke in the second to dominate the next two stanzas.

Hobart (1-1) opened the scoring with two goals in the first quarter and controlled the pace of the game throughout much of the first fifteen minutes.

When the whistle blew at the end of the first frame, the Crimson found itself down 2-0 and in need of a quick response to regain some momentum. It got it from junior midfielder Geoff Watson and sophomore attackman Dana Sprong.

Sprong struck quickly, scoring less then a minute into the second period off a feed from Watson.

For much of the afternoon, the two worked in tandem around the goal and constantly pestered the Hobart longsticks.

Watson found the back of the cage two minutes later after strong midfield play lead to a quick transition and a wide-open shot.

Watson's tally leveled the score and began some of the best play the Crimson managed all afternoon.

The offense settled down in the second period and produced solid scoring chances, outshooting the Statesmen 12-5 in the stanza.