M. Volleyball Falters, But Holds Off MIT 3-1

On Senior Night at the Malkin Athletic Center last night, the MIT Engineers could not have found their way out of a paper bag.

Before a raucous crowd filled with combative Harvard and MIT fans, the Crimson consistently found the holes in the Engineers' defense and took merciless advantage of MIT's unforced errors.

The Harvard men's volleyball team (9-10, 1-6 EIVA) bid a fond farewell to its two talented seniors in its final home game by defeating MIT in four games, 15-4, 15-5, 13-15, 15-9.

In a match full of ups and downs, the Crimson's two seniors--co-captain A.J. Lewis and middle blocker Evan Mager--inspired Harvard to avenge a five-game loss that the Crimson suffered at the hands of MIT earlier this season.

"Winning your last home game is always fun, especially having lost a heartbreaker to them earlier," said Harvard Coach Paul Wilson.

"We played very well most of the time, except during the third game," said junior co-captain Ed Pankau. "We really wanted to give [MIT] a solid thumping."

After a contentious start to the first game, the Crimson charged ahead to stifle the Engineers. A brief tie at 3-3 would be as close as MIT would get in the first game.

Junior outside hitter Joe Herger's dominating jump serve silenced any potential MIT rallies as Harvard garnered seven unanswered points off his serve. Unhittable and well-placed Lewis jump serves won Harvard the last two points as the Crimson captured the first game easily, 15-4.

Like an unstoppable locomotive, the Crimson sustained its momentum through the second game. Harvard surged ahead to a quick 5-0 lead, but the Engineers finally began clawing for air. A kill by the Engineers' Nikolaos Michalakis forced a Harvard side out and led to four consecutive MIT points. Strong Crimson blocking and powerful Mager kills dropped a 9-4 lead into Harvard's lap. A kill by MIT's Robert Moser brought the Engineers to 5-9, but Harvard pounded ahead without looking back.