Radcliffe Considers Merit of Same-Sex Programs

Publishing was always interesting to Trisha L. Manoni '99, but until last spring break she didn't know whether she wanted to make it a career--she had never even been to a publishing house.

Then she went on a Radcliffe Externship. For a week, Manoni was paired with Ann B. LaFarge '54, an editor at Kensington Publishing in New York. She went to LaFarge's meetings, lived in her apartment, and shared meals with her. By the end of Spring Break, Manoni's mind was made up.

"Because of that week, I looked for a job in publishing over the summer...and now I'm looking for a job in publishing after graduation," Manoni said.

Manoni chose a Radcliffe program over the similar spring break internships offered by Harvard's Office of Career Services (OCS). But she says the choice had nothing to do with the externships' supportive, all-female nature.

"I went to the OCS informational meeting, and they actually didn't offer anything in publishing," she said. "From that standpoint it was easy to decide. OCS didn't offer an internship in what I wanted to do, and Radcliffe did."

Manoni's experience points to a unique feature of Radcliffe's undergraduate programs--the externships, mentorships and research partnerships that Radcliffe officials tout as some of the college's brightest successes. Designed to create an enriching, all-female environment for undergraduates, they are among the only academic programs at the University that remain single-sex.

Radcliffe President Linda S. Wilson has repeatedly called for "a real push for effective partnerships between men and women"--but there are few concrete plans to extend that partnership to all of Radcliffe's undergraduate ventures.

Radcliffe administrators offer a number of reasons why those projects exclude male undergraduates, including size, expense and the desire to create a level playing field for women.

But if the past year's negotiations between Harvard and Radcliffe result in a merger between the two institutions, University officials say those reasons will not be enough to preserve the programs for women only.