Track Has Ups and Downs at Heps

Coming off of an undefeated 6-0 record in the Ivy League, the Harvard women's track team had high hopes for the Heptagonal Championships held at Cornell University last weekend.

And they did not disappoint, finishing in third place, with a total of 74 points, not far behind the top two teams, Brown and Princeton.

However, the Harvard men's track team, boasting a 5-1 record on the season, did not fare as well. Wracked with injuries and mishaps, the Crimson placed sixth out of nine teams, tallying 56 points on the weekend.

Despite falling to Ivy League rivals Brown and Princeton, who accumulated 107.33 points and 98 points respectively, the Crimson ran away with a number of key wins, exceeding its expectations for the Ivy League Championships.

"We had a great chance to perform this weekend," said sophomore high-jumper Dora Gyorffy. "We were ready to compete, and we did really well."

Gyorffy herself stole the spotlight, claiming the prestigious title of Women's Outstanding Heptagonals Performer by claiming two gold medal victories in the meet.

Beginning with the triple jump, Gyorffy overtook Cornell's Danielle Brown for the top position, jumping a distance of 41-3.

Yet Gyorffy's most impressive performance was yet to come. Setting both an Ivy League record, as well as a Heptagonals record, Gyorffy notched a first-place win in the high jump with a leap of 6-1 1/5. Brown's Emily Owens, the second-place finisher, was out-jumped by almost four inches.

"I won the triple jump in a big competition, as well as the high jump," Gyorffy said. "I tied my personal record in the triple jump, and set an indoor personal record for the high jump."

Gyorffy's performances weren't the only bright spots on the night. Sophomore Brenda Taylor claimed victory in the 55-meter hurdles, blazing through the tape with a time of 8.04 seconds.

Taylor also scored points for Harvard in both the 200-meter dash and the 400-meter run. She turned in a respectable 25.28 seconds in the 200-meters and a time of 56.88 seconds in the 400-meters, good enough for a third-place finish in both.

Sophomore Marna Schutte ran away with the gold in the 400-meter run, picking up the top spot in 56.32 seconds.

Co-captain Heather Hanson turned in a fifth-place finish in the 55-meter dash, and was right behind Taylor with fourth place in the 200-meter dash, coming across the line in 25.48 seconds.

The Crimson fared just as well in the relay events, placing first in the 4x400 meter relay with a time of 3:46.72, and notching a third-place finish in the 4x800 meter relay.

Unfortunately, for the fifth time in six years, the Princeton Tigers captured the Ivy League Title in the men's competition.