Harvard Snaps Three-Game Skid With 5-1 Win Over Union

SCHENECTADY, N.Y.--Entering Saturday's game at Union, the Harvard men's hockey team had scored just five goals in its last three games--all of them losses. Another defeat would send it below .500 for the first time all season.

After Saturday's game, the Crimson had scored ten goals in its last four games and stood in a three-way tie for first place in the ECAC.

It's amazing how a little scoring outburst can change your disposition.

The Harvard offense finally sprung to life and buried its chances as it defeated Union (4-9-0, 3-3-0 ECAC) 5-1 to earn a split for the weekend after dropping to RPI 3-2 Friday night. The win moved Harvard (5-4-0, 5-3-0) into a first-place tie with Yale and Colgate.

"We knew [coming into Union] that we were going to have our hands full," Harvard Coach Mark Mazzoleni said. "If we have any aspirations of obtaining home ice in the playoffs, this was a big game for us,"

The Crimson answered many lingering questions about the team after turning in two dismal efforts at home against Boston University and Brown.

Harvard generated quality scoring opportunities on both nights this weekend and finally hit the back of the net against the Skating Dutchmen.

Junior winger Chris Bala--who despite his speed and puckhandling ability had just one goal entering the road trip--broke loose for a pair of goals including a nice conversion on a mini-breakaway on Union goaltender Brandon Snee.