Personalized Web Pages Accessible to Users

Missing Harvard during winter break? Try configuring your own personal portal page, accessible at my.harvard.edu.

For the first time, Harvard Arts and Sciences Computer Services (HASCS) made these personalized gateways to the Internet accessible for full-scale testing yesterday. The portals' most prominent feature is an on-line version of a pocket day planner.

To log into the site, users need to enter their Harvard ID numbers and personal identification numbers, which students already use to check grades on-line.

About two years ago, Yahoo! launched one of the first and most popular personalization services, called "MyYahoo!"

Harvard is joining these commercial sites with portals called "My Harvard," that it hopes affiliates of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) will make into their homepages.

"Everyone under the sun has portals today," said Director of FAS Computer Services Franklin M. Steen.

But Steen said HASCS designed portals that would beat the competition. He said Harvard's portals offer solutions to problems particular to college students.

"Students at Harvard don't just use their computer in their room," he said. "[The portals are] an easy way to keep things with you as you move around campus."