McTeer and Brown Sparkle in Tumbleweeds

FILM

Tumbleweeds

You probably haven't heard much about Tumbleweeds yet, but come Oscar time, you'll hear plenty. Like Anywhere But Here, it's a mother-daughter tale, with an irresponsible, impulsive mom dragging her more mature, grounded daughter across the country. But Tumbleweeds succeeds where most mother-daughter sagas wimp out, because every moment seethes with vitality and honesty and excellent acting by leads Janet McTeer and Kimberly J. Brown make this a film to savor.

Mary Jo Walker (Janet McTeer) is an energetic, itinerant Southern woman; she's been married three times, and when her relationships end, she simply packs up moves herself and her daughter elsewhere. Twelve-year-old Ava is less than thrilled when her mom plucks her from life in West Virginia and takes her across the country to Starlight Beach, Calif.; Ava wants a real home and stability, and for her mom to meet the right man and finally settle down. Mary Jo moves herself and Ava in with Jack (Gavin O'Connor), a seemingly nice trucker; Ava makes friends at school and becomes friends with Dan, a nice older man who works with her mom. Though Mary Jo doesn't quite know what's good for her, Ava certainly does; she struggles to get her mom to stop running away from her problems, and even tries to steer her toward Dan, who's a much better man for her.

A story like this could easily have become TV-movie-of-the-week material; but it's a strong script, and even stronger acting, that carry this movie to great heights. Based on co-writer Angela Shelton's childhood memoirs, the screenplay is honest, emotionally charged and surprisingly intimate in what it reveals about the very strong bond between a mother and her daughter. Each scene is believable and completely organic; it's very easy to forget that you're not watching a real-life story unfold, and that the main duo aren't really related at all. Gavin O'Connor, who directs, co-wrote the screenplay and also acts as Mary

Jo's boyfriend Jack, has done a marvelous job of allowing the story to unfold effortlessly; he treats his subject with a lively mix of humor and dignity and helps a touching story blossom to a very fulfilling life onscreen.

McTeer and Brown, as Mary Jo and Ava, completely nail their chemistry; few actresses have made more convincing mother-daughter pairs than these two. McTeer is an award-winning British stage actress, though you'd never guess to look at her here; her North Carolina-tinged accent is spot-on, and she's so at home in her sundresses and golden tan that you could swear she was a Southern belle in a past life. She's already nabbed an early award from the National Board of Review for her performance, and she'll probably be making quite a few more acceptance speeches this season. Kimberly J. Brown is equally praiseworthy as her daughter Ava, even in her first film performance; she takes Ava through her first kiss and the beginning of her adolescence, and creates a very funny and touching portrait of a young girl growing up. Together, McTeer and Brown give the two best female performances of the year--and whatever casting director put this miraculous twosome together deserves many, many thanks.

McTeer and Brown also get a little help from some great supporting players. Gavin O'Connor, also in his debut performance, is good as the frustrated, traditional trucker Jack; kudos also to Jay O. Sanders, for his sensitive portrayal of Dan, and some great scenes with Brown's character Ava. Cody McMains is a delight as Ava's 12-year old, punk-haired boyfriend, and up-and-comer Laurel Holloman matches McTeer's spunk as a close friend of Mary Jo. Director O'Connor had some terrific talent to work with for this film, and gives each one of them a chance to shine-or, in McTeer's case, to sizzle.