Dan-nie Baseball!

A Yankee Stadium Bleacher Creature whom I know only as Larry often wears a t-shirt that reads, "Yankee Baseball is life. The rest is just details." Apparently Mariano Rivera disagrees.

The Yankee closer told beat writer Jack Curry of the New York Times last week that he would quit baseball in four years to pursue a higher calling--becoming an evangelical minister.

Rivera said that during a July 16 game against Atlanta, he heard what he believes was the voice of God telling him "I am the one who has you here."

Over the course of the past five months, Rivera has decided that the importance of his faith surpasses the importance of his baseball potential, and has chosen to leave the game in four years to spread the message he feels has changed his life.

Make no mistake, Rivera's baseball potential is immense. He finished the 1999 championship season as the World Series MVP, and posted a 4-3 record with a 1.83 ERA and converted 45 of 49 save chances.

Since 1996, he's been the most dominant relief pitcher in the game, and if he were to continue at his current level, would be considered the greatest relief pitcher in history, and probably one of the most dominant pitchers that the game has seen.

Maybe Rivera is onto something. The July 16 game against Atlanta was the last one he lost all season, and he allowed just one earned run in the remaining 49 innings he pitched, including a scoreless post-season. Coincidence, or divine intervention?

Yankee general manager Brian Cashman was philosophical. Curry quotes him as saying "It sounds like he's got peace of mind, which is something many of us on this earth look for. For that, I'm happy for him."