Letters

'Coming Out' Matters in the Real World

To the editors:

I am continually astounded by the recurring and unmitigated attitudes of those responsible for the "Conservative 'Coming Out' Dinner." In their letter published Dec. 9 they wrote, "To the extent that the Coming Out Dinner is mocking it is meant to mock only those who feign oppression within the Harvard community, which remains tolerant to a fault."

In a sense they are right. In general, Harvard is not such a bad place to be out. Until this fall, I would have said that without hesitation. Yet, since the acts of homophobia committed in Winthrop House, Adams House and repeatedly in Mather House, I'm not so sure. But, all in all, most people in the Harvard Community are at least tolerant of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons on campus. The Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender and Supporters' Alliance (BGLTSA) is not forbidden from meeting on campus--as similar groups are banned from schools like Boston College and Notre Dame. Throughout the Houses and dorms, there are BGLT tutors and proctors ready to address students concerns. Quite frankly, I am glad that Harvard seems to be "tolerant to a fault."

But the point that the organizers of the "Conservative 'Coming Out' Dinner" are missing--and have missed since the outcry over last year's Dinner--is that on National Coming Out Day the BGLT community is not concerned about coming out at Harvard. We are ever reminded that the world outside of Harvard Yard and outside of Cambridge is most certainly not "tolerant to a fault." Out there--in the world in which we will all be living in just a few short years--it's not a matter of worrying about a roommate moving out. It's a matter of discrimination and of violence. The names Matthew Shepherd and Rita Hester terrify us because we can never forget the kind of brutal violence that ended their lives. It's a world where there are people willing to slaughter two men in their bed because they believe it is God's will. There is no conservative minority in that world. Out there, it's the conservatives who have the power.

I want to invite the organizers of the "Conservative 'Coming Out' Dinner" to think about that world next time they consider what "coming

out" really means. I pray that if there is a conservative dinner next year its organizers use a little more common sense and sensitivity when naming it.

Jeffrey P. Morgan '02