The Ice Men Carveth

Surveying the freezer-room where he transforms ice blocks into sculptures, Brookline Ice's Eric S. Fontecchio remembers an odd order that he and his partner had to execute.

"Once, we did a big nose and a set of breasts for a plastic surgeons convention," Fontecchio says with a chuckle. "Now that was a strange assignment."

As the expert sculptors of Brookline Ice, Fontecchio and his partner Alfred J. Georgs can transform a 300-pound block into an intricate carving in under an hour.

Often working six days a week, the two have become an efficient ice-carving team that can crank out several sculptures in several hours.

"We know each other's strengths and weaknesses, and we plan our work accordingly," Georgs remarks, nodding approvingly at Fontecchio.

Opening the door to their 26-degree workshop, Georgs explains their daily routine. He grips a chisel with his glove, and gestures toward large blocks of partially carved ice, describing the typical projects they undertake. Most of the carvings are for events like weddings, birthday parties and bar mitzvahs.

Now, the duo is preparing for one of its most challenging--and most rewarding--projects: assembling sculptures for First Night Boston, the Hub's gala New Year festival.

The giant sculptures require months of preparation, and are carved block-by-block then glued together on site at Copley Square.