Field Hockey Ruins Brown's Perfect Bid

PROVIDENCE, R.I.--With Brown only moments away from winning the Ivy Title outright, the Harvard field hockey team stunned the Bears, 3-2, in the most dramatic upset of the Ivy League season.

No.15 Brown (13-3, 6-1 Ivy) came into Saturday's showdown needing only a tie to claim sole possession of the Ivy Title, but with under a minute remaining and the score deadlocked 2-2 in overtime, Harvard (11-6, 4-3 Ivy) stole the championship from underneath the Bears' paws.

Intercepting a Brown pass at midfield, junior midfielder Maisa Badawy reversed the Brown drive and made a great run up the field to score an unassisted goal on an incredible individual effort.

Seeing only 20 seconds left on the clock, Badawy used her lightning speed to break free to the far sideline.

With senior forward Kim Rogers and junior forward Susana Garcia in hot pursuit and Rogers about to cut her off, Badawy cut back to the inside and shook Rogers, who was tripped up by her own stick.

Finding herself face-to-face with Garcia, Badawy broke back to the outside as the Brown defender futilely lunged at Badawy's heels.

With a pair of Brown defenders lying helplessly on the field and looking foolish, Badawy broke free and made a run straight for the Bears' goal.

Less than 10 yards from the net, the Brown defender tried to land a tackle, but before she could, Badawy unleashed a bullet pegged for the far corner.