Wrestling Their Way to the Top

Harvard wrestling Coach Jay Weiss has been around the block. In five seasons, he has orchestrated the exponential rise of the Crimson from the bottom of the EIWA to one of the nation's top contenders. Just last year, his team finished third in the EIWAs and placed 20th at the NCAA Tournament--with three NCAA qualifiers and two All-Americans.

So, when Weiss, now in his sixth season, said this year's team is "something special," his words are those of experience, and not mere hype.

And Harvard has already started to deliver on its billing. At the season opener at Columbia, the Ivy Classic, the Crimson returned to Cambridge with a third place performance that included two individual title winners and eleven top-six finishes.

"Special" indeed, seems a justified description.

The Crimson enters the 1999-2000 season with a talented group of senior leaders, experienced upperclassman, and promising freshmen. Especially exciting is the return of top wrestler and co-captain Ed Mosley, who took a leave of absence last year.

He, along with fellow co-captain Joey Killar will lead a squad that graduated two of its best grapplers Dustin DeNunzio '99 and Joel Friedman '99. With their departure, Harvard loses two wrestlers that were crucial to the rapid development of the program.

Fortunately for the Crimson, DeNunzio--Harvard's all time winningest wrestler--is now an assistant coach for the program he helped build. As a two-time NCAA All-American and EIWA champion, his experience should prove invaluable, especially to the incoming class.

DeNunzio joins an already outstanding assistant coaching staff that includes former Soviet National Coach Granit Taropin and former Harvard All-American Andy McNerney, '83.