Position By Position, Harvard Will Have to Work for a Win

Harvard's prospects do not look too rosy this year in the 116th playing of The Game. While analyzing each position is not an exact science, the scale appears to tip heavily in Yale's favor. Without further ado, here's the breakdown, position by position, of the Harvard and Yale football teams for The Game.

Quarterback

While Harvard senior quarterback Brad Wilford has had a strong season for the Crimson, completing 55.6-percent of his passes for 1723 yards and eight touchdowns, he has also thrown 12 interceptions. The quarterback controversy that brewed between Wilford and Rich Linden briefly flared up again on Saturday when Wilford was benched and Linden put in charge of the offense for a few series. The strong armed Wilford reentered the game after halftime and there is no doubt that he will start Saturday.

Yale quarterback Joe Walland has completed 59.1 percent of his passes for 1770 yards and 14 touchdowns against only 3 interceptions. Walland has the highest quarterback rating in the Ivy League at 139.5 rating, one of the best in all Division 1-AA. Wilford clocks in at 110.5.

Walland also holds an experience edge over Wilford. Both players are seniors, but this is only Wilford's his first year as a starter.

enter>Running Back

If Harvard senior Chris Menick was playing this game at 100-percent the edge would tip the Crimson's way. However, he injured his MCL last Saturday against Penn and will play through considerable pain.

The Crimson needs him and his 107 yards per game. If Menick's injury hampers him too greatly junior Chuck

With Harvard's Chris Menick out for the season with a knee injury, junior Chuck Nwokocha will lead the group of Harvard running backs that will have to make up his yardage.

Yale's Rashad Bartholomew brings a respectable 90 yards per game and a 4 yard per carry average into The Game. The Elis also get 45 rushing yards per game from Walland.

Really, the health of Menick will determine the edge here.

enter>Wide Recievers/Tight Ends

With a deep receiving corps led by senior wideout Terence Patterson and captain and tight end Chris Eitzmann, Harvard has many quality options in the passing game.

Patterson is 4th in the Ivy League in receptions per game, and freshmen deep threats Carl Morris and Kyle Cremerosa can exploit defenses with their speed.

Eitzmann, while he doesn't average many receptions per game, averages almost 20 yards per reception and can get open in the middle of the field.

Yale has three receivers, Eric Johnson, Jim Keppel and Tom McNamara among the top-25 in the Ivy League for receptions per game. Senior Jake Fuller is Yale's deep threat, averaging 19 yards per reception.

Walland's accuracy, moreover, makes all of his receivers better, but the exceptional skill of Patterson and Eitzmann nudges this to the Crimson.

enter>Offensive Line

Harvard's offensive line was an inexperienced unit coming into this season and a full year of action has not done much to instill faith in the unit.