W. Soccer Notebook

Despite controlling the tempo and momentum throughout its second round NCAA Tournament match versus Boston College yesterday afternoon, the No. 7 Harvard women's soccer team was unable to break through and it watched its amazing season come to a disappointing end with a 1-0 loss at Ohiri Field.

Even with an overwhelming advantage in shots on goal of 23-11, the Crimson (14-2-1, 7-0 Ivy) was unable to overcome a late first half score by Eagle senior forward Mary Guarino and made an improbable exit from the postseason tournament as the No. 8 seed in a field of 48.

The loss marked the end of the college careers of Crimson seniors Julia Blain, Ashley Berman, Jessica Larson, Gina Foster, and Beth Zotter.

Although this group has formed the core of the women's soccer team for the past 4 years, they were never able to reach farther than the quarterfinals of the NCAA since a sophomore year loss to eventual champion North Carolina 1-0 in 1997.

However, this year's team was just the third Ivy League squad to ever amass a 7-0 mark in the women's soccer division since its inception in 1991. It owned the nation's third-longest unbeaten string this year at 13 games, and was one of the stingiest defensive teams in the country, allowing a national-low eight goals during the regular season.

Harvard Coach Tim Wheaton and his returning squad for next year have a lot to look forward to as they will continue to gel, but they will sorely miss the senior leadership that has carried them throughout the year.

"[This game] was an unfortunate way to end one of the best seasons this program has ever had," Wheaton said.

The Experience Factor