F. Hockey Ends Season With Loss to Dartmouth in ECACs

When No. 20 Dartmouth beat the Harvard field hockey team 2-1 on Oct. 30, it ended the Crimson's pursuit of the Ivy League title. Yesterday in Hamden, Conn., the Big Green finished the job, ending Harvard's season with a 3-0 win in the ECAC championship game.

Harvard (12-7, 4-3 Ivy) had advanced to the final in dramatic fashion, beating Drexel 2-1 on Saturday when sophomore Heather Hussey sent a deflection off a free hit into the cage with just three seconds remaining in regulation.

But against the Big Green (14-6, 5-2), physical play and the irregular grass surface, on which the Crimson had not played since a 2-0 win Sept. 25 at Yale, knocked Harvard off its game, resulting in the team's most lopsided loss of the season.

"It's a little disappointing for our season to end this way," tri-captain Katie Schoolwerth said. "We played these games on grass, which is so different from the turf we usually play on, and it's just unrepresentative of the skills we have. This field was in really bad condition, it was bumpy and there wasn't much room to play a passing game."

Dartmouth 3, Harvard 0

Harvard's season ended with its worst loss--only the second time this year that the Crimson was outscored by more than one goal.

Dartmouth's Lauren Scopaz, who was a unanimous first team All-Ivy selection and the ECAC tournament MVP, opened the scoring with 18:13 left in the first half, finishing a feed from Kristen Leadbeater.

It was the 14th goal of the season for Scopaz, who also scored twice in the Big Green's 4-1 semifinal win over host Quinnipiac.