School Committee Candidate

Susana M. Segat, 43

Endorsements: National Organization for Women, Massachusetts Women's Political Caucus, Lavender Alliance, Cambridge Civic Association, Greater Boston Labor Council, Service Employees International Union, Painters and Allied Trades District Council 35, Carpenters and Joiners of America Local 40, Iron Workers Local 7, Firemen and Oilers Local 3

With two children in Cambridge public schools, Segat is running for her third term on the School Committee. She has been in leadership positions at of the Massachusetts Commission on the Status of Women and the Cambridge Democratic City Committee. She holds a teaching degree and a master's in education. Her goals include implementing and supporting proper curriculum system-wide, starting foreign language instruction in kindergarten, and strengthening middle schools as well as providing after-school programs for middle schoolers.

Candidate statement: "I have an open mind. I read. I think about the issues and consider the big picture. My votes aren't based on political considerations, but on what is best for our children's education."

Shawn M. Burke, 29

Burke was active in student government during high school, and has been the assistant track coach at Cambridge Rindge and Latin School. His top priorities include retraining guidance counselors, considering police duty and metal detectors for schools, and hands-on involvement from the school committee.

Candidate Statement: I grew up in Cambridge. I am younger than most of the candidates, so kids find it easier to talk to me. Somebody older than me might not know how to relate to the kids as well."