City Ballot Will Lack Disputed Question

In recent years, the most important question on the Cambridge ballot has been about rent control. It's a contentious issue, and one that draws Cantabrigians to the polls.

Now that the only ballot question is a 'public opinion advisory question' about the nuclear non-proliferation treaty, some political analysts worry that fewer voters passionate about rent control will turn out--meaning a potentially skewed City Council slate.

Rent control is an issue that should have and could have been on the ballot, according to Glenn S. Koocher '71, the host of a local political show.

Because of a misunderstanding between backers of a rent control ballot question and the Cambridge Election Commission, Koocher says, the rent control initiative failed to make it.

Though many rent control advocates didn't expect the ballot question to pass, they were hoping to attract voters who were interested in rent control.

"The strategy was to put the question on the ballot not because it would win. It would have mobilized voters, and the turnout would have been better for tenants," Koocher says.

Several rent control advocates are blaming the Election Commission for lack of clarity and communication.

City Council candidate David Hoicka attributes the misunderstanding to "dirty politics."