A Breakthrough Day for Harvard's Receivers

The Harvard football team's 63-21 win over Dartmouth Saturday had no shortage of achievements by Crimson veterans.

Seniors Chris Menick, Terrence Patterson, and Brad Wilford each set records at their positions of tailback, wideout, and quarterback, respectively. The defense, with eight senior starters held the Big Green without a first down for most of the second half.

But for those thinking of the future of the team, the most encouraging performance was that of the young Crimson receivers: sophomore flanker Andy Fried (4-for-76, 2 TD), freshman split end Carl Morris (5-for-112), and freshman flanker Kyle Cremarosa (4-for-64).

After the game, the records set by Menick and Patterson left Harvard Coach Tim Murphy wondering about the future.

"You look at two guys that have been doing a lot of good things for a long time. Those records are a reflection of that," Murphy said. "The only bad thing is what do we next year without them?"

But Fried, Morris, and Cremarosa showed yesterday that the future looks bright for the Harvard passing game.

Murphy aimed to get the most out of throwing the ball this week.

"I challenged the quarterback and the receivers last week," Murphy said. "I said for us to reach our full potential as an offense, we have to step it up and play at a level above were we had been playing."

And the Harvard offensive attack was more than up to the challenge.