Fall Theater Preview: October

A Man For All Seasons

October 14-16

Loeb Ex

Written by Robert Bolt

Directed by Joseph Gfaller

Produced by Rachel Sexton & Ray Courtney

The Premise: A historical drama on Sir Thomas More, the unwilling martyr who was prepared to do everything to save his life except betray his God. Set in the times of King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, this is a play on the deep and stirring Shakespearean themes of valor and honor.

What to look for: Definitely director Joe Gfaller's decision to score the play to Carl Orff's lush Carmina Burana. Just as the play revolves around a "confusion between the sacred and profane", the Carmina Burana has some of the most profane lyrics performed to what sounds like medieval church music. Look out too for the inventiveness of new scenes added to give more depth to Henry VIII's court and life. And definitely keep your eye out for the full Tudor costumes and the large and opulent sets, all in the best style of what we might expect from a historical play. More than just an assault of the senses however, Gfaller also promises to leave the audience "emotionally affected" and forced to re-evaluate their own positions on honor and integrity.

The Buzz: Are you kidding? A genuinely brilliant and stirring script, a cast of some of Harvard's most respected thespians and an exciting treatment of themes. And absolutely free. The buzz is through the roof.

Starring: Tim Foley, Edie Bishop, Paul Monteleoni, Jerry Ruiz

The Mourning After

October 14-17, 21-23

Adams Pool Theater