Football Faces Deceptively Tough Dartmouth Tomorrow

As the Harvard football team has seen all season long, there's nothing more dangerous than an easy victory.

Tomorrow's match up against Dartmouth (1-5, 1-2 Ivy) marks the third straight week in which Harvard (4-2, 2-1 Ivy) will face an opponent with a losing record--and the third straight week when that opponent will be hungry to salvage a bit of pride from a seemingly lost season.

True, this is a Harvard team that hasn't lost to a sub-.500 team since Week Four of 1996.

But if recent history is any indication, tomorrow's match up against a weak Dartmouth squad may be anything but a cakewalk for the Crimson. It struggled to maintain a 34-3 halftime lead against Fordham, and eked out a 13-6 win over Princeton on a last-second touchdown plunge.

In fact, the Crimson has not held a commanding fourth quarter lead since its first game of the season, a 24-7 victory over Columbia all the way back on September 18th. And every game since then has been a nail-biter won or lost on the last series.

"If you look at college football right now, there's so much parity that very few games are blowouts," said Harvard Coach Tim Murphy. "You just have to take it one possession at a time and you may find yourself in the position of not having to win on the last series."

So tomorrow's face-off against a Dartmouth team that lost its first five games by a combined 110 points is anything but money in the bank.

The Big Green comes rolling into Harvard off its biggest victory of the past two years. Its 20-17 upset over Cornell last week knocked the Big Red from the ranks of the Ivy's unbeaten, and broke Dartmouth's 10-game losing streak.