Spirit Unleashed As House War Ends

They're calling it the "almost-but-not-quite Six Day War."

What began more than a week ago as a late-night notion thought up by some Adams House residents to declare war on rivals in Pforzheimer House ended yesterday afternoon in the Pforzheimer House dining hall, with a few members of each House dressed in drag, and everyone cheering.

The throng of Pforzheimer residents--many with their faces painted with red and black 'Pf's--had good reason to celebrate.

After prevailing in two out of the three events in yesterday's final battle, they won their agreed-upon prize: Adams stickers for the ID cards of Pforzheimer House residents and special dispensation to eat in Adams House for the rest of the year.

Tensions between the two Houses arose early in the semester, when Adams began using stickers on resident ID cards to help enforce its long-standing ban on interhouse dining during peak dining hours.

In retaliation, Pforzheimer residents brought a proposal to their House Committee to ban Adams residents from their dining hall, which the students dubbed a symbolic gesture.

Although the proposal did not pass, some Adams residents decided to declare war.

And though defeated in the end, Adams still had reason to cheer. The weeklong skirmish it inspired between the two Houses awoke an outpouring of House spirit unlike anything seen on Harvard's campus since randomization began.