PfoHo-Adams Rivalry Intensifies

It began with little white stickers on Adams House ID cards. Now it is a full-fledged war.

Tensions between Adams and Pforzheimer House residents escalated Wednesday when a group of four unknown males entered Adams' dining hall at about 4:15 p.m. and removed the House's famous gong used during meals to make announcements. In recent months, the gong has been used to chide unwelcome dinner guests.

The Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) is investigating the incident. Yesterday, students in Pforzheimer House hinted that some of their Housemates were the culprits.

According to Peggy A. McNamara, HUPD spokesperson, an Adams Dining Hall employee tried to stop the students. A scuffle ensued, and the employee managed to recover the gong's wooden frame before the four students fled in a motor vehicle, McNamara said.

Later, at about 6:30 p.m., McNamara said, HUPD officers recovered the gong, which was hanging in the Pforzheimer dining hall. Over the gong was a sign that read "the spoils of war," according to Pforzheimer resident Manuel A. Garcia '00.

But McNamara said the dining hall employee may press charges in light of the prank. While trying to stop the thieves, he was dragged a short distance by the motor vehicle.

"The employee feels that everyone is satisfied that the drum was recovered and returned," McNamara said. "Although the investigation is ongoing as to the identities of the four Pfoho students, larceny was committed."

The war began earlier in the month, when Adams House put white stickers on its students' IDs to enforce its strict inter-House dining policy.