Report: Astronomy Profs Treated Poorly

About three blocks down Concord Avenue from the Radcliffe Quad stands Saint Peter's Church. Next to the church is an old schoolhouse, still decorated with ornate brick crosses.

The old schoolhouse no longer houses parochial education, but its occupants still spend their days studying the heavens.

However, the placid exterior of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CFA)--which also occupies a larger structure across the street--hides an epicenter of the debate over the University's treatment of its junior faculty members, according to a recent report and several faculty members.

Although an oversight committee report presented last fall pronounced the department "outstanding at all levels," it went on to raise questions about the adequacy of mentoring and promotion of junior faculty members in the department.

Aiming for the Stars

Formed in 1973, the CFA combines the Harvard College Observatory and the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The center employs around 900 scientists in half a dozen locations around the country.

Around 300, including the Astronomy Department in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS), work on the Harvard campus.

Although the Astronomy Department consists of less than 20 tenured professors, but over the last decade, those positions have been among the most controversial in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS).