Champion Gridders Hobble Into Season

If his team hadn't had a dream year and won the Ivy championship last season, you might feel sorry for Harvard Coach Tim Murphy.

After all, he's been blindsided this preseason by season-ending injuries to three key players. When he lost nine starters to graduation, he could see it coming.

"Winning a championship is a big challenge, but winning back to back is a huge challenge," Murphy said. "Because of our personnel hits, we're facing more adversity than we did last year."

Junior fullback Damon Jones is out for the year after surgery for an abdominal strain, and senior tailback Troy Jones is gone with a broken arm suffered on the first play of the first scrimmage. Junior defensive end Brian Daigle broke his ankle in Saturday's scrimmage, and projected starting wide receiver Steve Durbin hasn't taken a snap in practice.

Other players had injuries cut into their practice time. Junior quarterback Rich Linden, junior defensive linemen Brian Howard and Mike Sands and junior linebacker Isaiah Kacyvenski had problems, but only Howard is not listed on the two-deep roster for the Columbia season opener this Saturday.

Defense

Last year, Harvard's defense led the team to its Ivy title with two shutouts and only four touchdowns allowed. And it was Harvard's all-senior defensive line that led the defense.

The line put pressure on the quarterback, helping the Crimson to a No. 5 national ranking in passing efficiency defense. The run defense also was ranked No. 5, and Harvard's scoring defense ended the season No. 2, with only 12.3 points per game allowed.

Juniors Howard, Sands, Chris Nowinski and Jeff Svicarovich must step up to maintain the level of play. Helping to bridge the gap will be fifth-year senior Brendan Bibro, who is the only player to be a two-time captain since 1904-05. Bibro received his extra year of eligibility after breaking his foot last year.

"They've been in the program, so they have a feel for how the defensive line worked and what it took to be successful," said Bibro of the junior linemen. "But it is very strange after four years of the same guys, every day at practice, every preseason. Those four guys [who left] were pretty much my best friends at Harvard.

"You don't know what the other guy's thinking as easily as you did when you were playing with your roommates. But the guys this year have as much talent as any D-line we've had."

Besides the defensive line graduations, Harvard also lost safety Jeff Compas, the first player ever to start as a freshman for the Crimson, and coordinator Mark Harriman, who became the head coach at Bates College. Murphy says the aggressive, attacking eight-man fronts won't change under new defensive coordinator Bruce Tall, who coached at Northeastern last year.

Senior Derek Yankoff was solid in his first year as a starter at cornerback but will replace Compas at safety, Yankoff's natural position. Senior corner Glenn Jackson led the Crimson with his six interceptions, and junior Kane Waller, who also has starting experience, will be the other corner.

First-team All-Ivy junior linebacker Isaiah Kacyvenski will anchor the defense. Linebacker might now be the best position on the team because it includes senior strong-side backer Scott Larkee and weak-side backers Joe Weidle and Clint Kollar. Junior strong safety Aron Natale technically isn't a linebacker, but he is usually the eighth man in running situations. He also has the athleticism to cover receivers.

Offense