HIGHLIGHTS

Softballers Earn All-Ivy Honors

As expected, member's of the Harvard women's softball team peppered the list of All-Ivy honorees, announced Monday.

Junior co-captain Tara LaSovage was voted Ivy Player of the Year, and senior hurler Tasha Cupp (6-0, 1.47 ERA) was named Ivy League Pitcher of the Year to head a list of 11 Harvard All-Ivy softball players.

LaSovage finished the team's 12-0 Ivy campaign with a robust .526 in-league batting average, and Cupp's pitching was near-perfect several times throughout the team's Ivy season, including a shutout win over the vaunted Cornell Big Red to help clinch Harvard's first-ever Ivy title.

The League's coaches honored six Harvard players with selections to the 12-member First Team--Cupp, LaSovage, junior third baseman Meredith Bagley, junior rightfielder Karen Rice, sophomore utility player Jessie Amberg and sophomore shortstop Deborah Abeles, who was one of two unanimous First Team members.

It was a season of records for Abeles, who eclipsed the team records for career home runs and RBI in this, her sophomore campaign.

Rounding out the Harvard award winners were four All-Ivy Second-Teamers--freshman pitcher Chelsea Thoke, junior catcher Terri Teller, co-captain centerfielder Jenny Franzese and senior leftfielder Hillary Read--and one Honorable Mention choice, freshman designated player Mairead McKendry.