Leverett Elevators Fail State Safety Inspection

Going for a ride just became a little bit more dangerous, or at least it seems that way to some wary Leverett House students.

All four of Leverett's tower elevators failed Monday's inspection by the Massachusetts Department of Public Safety, and the yellow warning stickers posted in each elevator have raised alarm among residents and visitors alike.

"It's not surprising," said Frankie A. Perez '98 as he stepped into the elevator. "They're ridiculously scary."

But, according to Leverett House superintendent Matthew P. Stec, the elevators do not pose a safety risk.

"They've all failed on minor violations," he said.

According to Stec, the elevators failed because of missing sections of handrail and broken floor-indicator lights. All elevators but one are missing a section of handrail, and the F-tower elevators have floor-indicator lights that do not work.

"They can still be run normally," Stec said. "If it were a serious violation, they would be immediately shut down."

But students remain unconvinced.

"I would walk, even to the ninth floor," said Jamin F. Kerner '00, who lives on the first floor of old Leverett.

A small note written on one of the yellow warning stickers reads "Help!"

Another more cynical comment reads "Leverett = excellent facilities for only 30K a year."

Most students at Leverett House mentioned safety concerns like creaking and dangerous doors that were not part of the inspector's list of violations.

"The doors behave a little funny," Perez said. "They close when you're between them."

The stickers indicate that the elevators will be reinspected in 90 days. Stec said there is no definite timetable on fixing the violations, but that they will be fixed before the reinspection.

Inspector Frank Schultz, who examined the elevators for the state, could not be reached for comment.