HIGHLIGHTS

Gift to Bring World-Class Tennis Facility

Harvard boasts one of the finest teams in the nation. And now, thanks to the generous donation of Robert M. Beren, (`47, M.B.A. `50) they will also boast one of the best facilities as well.

Plans are completed for the Robert M. Beren Tennis Center, a new outdoor complex holding eighteen courts, a two-story pavilion and a permanent viewer seating area.

The center will replace the present eight-court Beren Tennis Center, which Beren funded in 1981. These quality courts served Harvard well over the past decade, helping to bring in the top recruits that have made it a top-notch program.

"The new Robert M. Beren Tennis Center is a dream come true," Harvard Tennis Coach David R. Fish said in a press release. "The beautiful layout will provide an intimate atmosphere for collegiate competitions and a club-like environment for a community of Harvard tennis players."

Beren left Ohio to attend Harvard in 1943. After serving in World War II, he completed his studies at the college, and later graduated as a Baker Scholar from the Business School. He is currently the owner and president of BEREXCO INC., a oil and gas exploration company based in Kansas. He also serves as president of Beren Corp. and is owner of Central Crude Corp.

The donor serves on Harvard's Board of Overseers Committee on University Resources and was also the main donor to Rosovsky Hall, the home of Harvard Hillel.

Beren has a special tie to Harvard tennis; his son Adam played here from `79 to `83, serving as captain and earning All-American status.

"Given the popularity of tennis, its benefits as a sport for a lifetime and the accomplishments of the varsity tennis programs, I wanted the Harvard community to have a facility on par with any university in the country. It is my expectation that this new facility will have a durability greatly exceeding what we have done in the past," Beren said in a press release.