Women's Hockey Drowns In Ocean State, Loses Two

Harvard sinks against Brown, Providence

Like most visitors to Providence, Harvard women's hockey didn't have a good time there.

Harvard (10-11-0, 5-11-0 ECAC) lost to both Brown and Providence, in large part because of defensive lapses which resulted in four-goal streaks by the opposition in both games.

"We are overall as a team really disappointed with this weekend," said junior captain Kyle Walsh. HARVARD  3 PROVIDENCE  5 HARVARD  4 BROWN  8

Harvard and Brown (13-5-3, 10-3-2 ECAC) were knotted at three in the second period when the Bears scored four times in a 5:43 span. Four different forwards netted the puck for Brown during the streak, which ensured the victory for the Bears. The teams traded meaningless goals for the 8-4 final margin.

"We had lapses, and the team has had some trouble coming together," said sophomore defender Courtney Smith. "In the second period, Brown was passing around us. We couldn't get our defensive zone coverage to work."

Junior forward Claudia Asano started the scoring 4:10 into the game. After two goals by the Bears, freshman left wing Kiirsten Suurkask tied the game 10:57 into the first period.

Brown went into the first intermission ahead 3-2, but freshman right wing Angie Francisco brought Harvard even again. Just a minute later Brown's offensive explosion began.

The teams exchanged goals in the third period, with Harvard's fourth score coming on a power play goal by smith.

The loss to the Bears was especially disappointing because last Friday seemed like the perfect opportunity to beat them.

"We were expecting a good game, and they had a couple of players missing for the Winter Olympics," Smith said. "They also had lost some key players to graduation, so they were not as strong as last year."

At least one major positive did come out of the game. Harvard's power-play was perfect against Brown--two of two--which indicates that its recent focus on that aspect of the game is paying off.

"It's something we've been working on," Smith said. "It's one of the pluses for the weekend."

"The biggest problem has been getting set up," Walsh said. "Once we do, we have forwards who can get it in and defenders who can get it up."

Harvard faced Providence a day later but came away on the short end of a 6-5 score. Once again, the Crimson started well, holding a 3-1 lead 10:39 into the first quarter.

However, the Friars stormed back with four goals over the next 10:01 of game time.

"It was a tough loss, because I think we're clearly better than them," Smith said, citing Harvard's earlier 6-3 win over Providence.

Francisco, Smith and Suurkask each had first-period tallies against Providence for the early lead. Once again, however, four different forwards found gaps in the Harvard defense.

"I'm not sure if we know what it takes to win," Smith said. "There was some emotion lacking this weekend, and we weren't helping each other out when one of us was struggling."

Harvard has to regroup in time for tomorrow's Beanpot final against North-eastern, which already has beaten Harvard twice this season. The Huskies are in a tight race with UNH for the ECAC title.

"We shouldn't have lost both games," Smith said. "But hopefully this team will come together and pull out some victories down the stretch so we can make the playoffs."

"This last month is crunch time," Walsh said. "We have to suck it up--it's all or nothing in February."