Smoking at Harvard

Butter or margarine? Running or rest?

Lifestyle choices in the 1990s are becoming increasingly complicated as conflicting studies about the latest health findings are published daily.

But one health tip repeated over and over is the detrimental effect of smoking upon one's health. In its 1997 annual report, the Harvard Center for Cancer Prevention noted that "cigarette smoking accounts for at least 30 percent of all cancer deaths in the United States."

Dr. David S. Rosenthal '59, director of University Health Services and president of the American Cancer Society, says tobacco poses a serious threat to public health.

"There is no question that tobacco is bad for you," he says.

According to Rosenthal, rates of smoking have skyrocketed among people under the age of 18, especially among African-Americans.

"If this continues, in 10 to 20 years, we will see some serious tobacco-related health issues," he says.

Despite such dire predictions, however, smoking remains popular among college students. The 1997 National College Health Risk Behavior Survey reported that 29 percent of the study's participants had smoked cigarettes regularly at college. Moreover, a significant portion of Harvard students say they smoke regularly or on a social basis.

Smoking at Harvard

Students who smoke know that they may encounter health problems in the future, but they say the appeal of smoking is too tempting and satisfying to give up for now.

Aaron S. Mathes '98, who started smoking regularly the summer before he came to college, says smoking has become part of his image.

"It's part of the way I think of myself," he says. "It helps me constitute my identity."

Mathes sees smoking as having a particular personal effect upon him.

"I don't think other people are cool because they smoke," he says. "[But] I think I'm cool because I smoke."

Heidi J. Bruggink '01, who had decided to quit smoking when she got to college, says her plan was abandoned by the third day of school.