Men's Hoops Breaks DII Sacred Heart

There is no substitute for shooting.

Unless you consider the Sultan of Swat.

Four days after shooting 39 percent from the floor in a loss to Marist, the Harvard men's basketball buried Sacred Heart (1-5) by a 79-64 count in Lavietes Pavilion on Saturday, shooting 50 percent from the floor behind a record-breaking performance by senior center Bill Ewing. SACRED HEART  64 HARVARD  79

Plagued by offensive motion problems and frustrating turnovers that thwarted the Crimson against Marist, Harvard (3-2, 0-0 Ivy) continued to improve its interior defense.

Ewing broke his own school record for single-game blocked shots with six. The 6'9" center added 10 points, eight rebounds andtwo steals in 19 minutes of play as game's mostprominent impact figure.

"He was a tremendous spark off the bench," saidHarvard Coach Frank Sullivan. "His blocks wereabsolutely significant."

Ewing and the Crimson stifled the Sacred Heartoffense in the first half, holding the oppositionto 8-of-25 from the floor en route to a 35-22halftime advantage.

Sacred Heart stepped up the defensive intensityin the second half and improved its offensiveeffectiveness, but could not pull closer thaneight while Harvard cruised to victory.

"We were determined to show some pride on ourhome court," said senior shooting guard Mike Beam."We just kept feeding off each other."

The win, however, came at a cost.

After getting his first start this year, theseason of last year's Ivy League Rookie of theYear, sophomore forward Dan Clemente, is again injeopardy. After suffering a minor aggravation onThursday of the ankle condition which willnecessitate surgery before next season, Clementewas helped off the court in the first half aftertaking a charge from Sacred Heart reserve ShawnJones.

Though he remained dressed, Clemente did notplay in the second half and his condition will bemonitored this week.

After its shooting woes against Marist lastweek, Harvard locked the basket in its sightsSaturday. Beam equaled Sacred Heart's JohnRandazzo with 22 points as the game high scorer on6-of-7 shooting, though his total was inflated byeight consecutive free throws in the final minuteswhen Sacred Heart began fouling out ofdesperation.

Beam hit two key jump shots heading intohalftime to give Harvard a comfortable 13-pointadvantage.

Sacred Heart kept the game close in the earlygoing. Harvard missed several open shots early,while Sacred Heart worked the inside-out tandem offorward David Fesko and guard Kurt Reis to somesuccess. The two led Sacred Heart with six andseven points respectively at the half. At the11-minute mark, the Crimson held a slim 12-11advantage.

Then the ball got rolling. Harvard spread thewealth, getting looks for Beam and senior pointguard Tim Hill on the perimeter as well as forEwing and captain center Paul Fisher in the post.Combined, the Crimson made nine of its final 11field-goal attempts in the first half to build a13-point advantage entering the intermission.