HIGHLIGHTS

F. Hockey Faces Home Finale

The Harvard field hockey team (8-8, 4-2 Ivy) will face Brown (5-9, 1-5 Ivy) in its last home game tomorrow at Cumnock field.

Unlike Brown, Harvard has a lot riding on this game. A win would solidify its record over .500, making Harvard more attractive to the ECAC selection committee, and improving the Crimson's chances of postseason play.

But Brown boasts a scoring threat at center forward in Olympic gold-medallist and two-time Ivy League Player of the Week, Tara Mounsey.

Mounsey may have medaled in ice hockey, but the fact that this is field hockey seems to make little difference. Mounsey is the Bears' leading scorer and is on pace to break Brown's single-season scoring record by the end of the year.

However, it remains to be seen whether Mounsey will be a match for Harvard's all-time leading scorer, co-captain Judy Collins. Collins has a field hockey resume long as Michael Jordan's arm, including third-team All-America and first-team All-Ivy honors.

Behind Mounsey, the rest of the Brown squad is youthful and relatively inexperienced. Harvard hopes to capitalize on that inexperience.

"We'd like to get in their faces, mess them up by scoring a goal in the first five minutes," Collins said.

Putting the game away early would be a wise strategy for the Crimson. Brown, despite a sub-.500 record, is a scrappy, disruptive team that prides itself on upsets.

"They have nothing to lose. It's their last game of the season," Collins said.

A "W" in the box score would also place the Crimson second in the Ivy League, behind Princeton, ranked No. 4 in the nation. There is also some pride on the line as this the last home game for Collins, co-captain Tara LaSovage and Penny Fairbairn.

"We've been playing really well lately," Collins said. "We just have to keep that up and play our game. This is our last home game no matter what."