WOMEN'S SOCCER NOTEBOOK

W. Booters in Control Throughout

PHILADELPHIA, Pa.--If sheer number of scoring opportunities paints a perfect picture of ability, the better team won Saturday's women's soccer contest between Harvard and Pennsylvania.

The Crimson controlled the pace of the game almost from the opening kick, but its efforts did not pay off until freshman forward Colleen Moore trickled a shot past Penn keeper Anne Kluetmeier 24:22 into the second half to knot the game at one apiece.

Moore's goal marked the first score against Penn this season, ending a 729-minute scoreless streak for the Quakers.

That Harvard would be the first team to solve Penn's stingy defense comes as no surprise. The Crimson is by far the Quakers' toughest opponent thus far, and its myriad scoring threats only begin with the likes of co-captain Emily Stauffer and senior forward Naomi Miller.

But for much of Saturday's game, the Crimson seemed to fall victim to the infliction with which Coach Tim Wheaton's talented squad has been grappling throughout the season--an inability to convert its scoring opportunities into actual tallies.

Harvard's fancy feet fired 14 shots at Kluetmeier while allowing just four on its own goal. Indeed the Crimson's monopoly of shots-on-goal was so complete that the Quakers' lone goal was actually off the foot of a Crimson defender.

"Our offense is strong, it's just been the finishing that's lacking," said freshman forward Colleen Moore, who tallied the Crimson's first goal, 69:22 into the game. "It felt good to get two goals in a relatively short period of time, capitalize on our chances, and I think if we can keep that momentum going...the opportunities are there, it's just a matter of putting it in the back of the net."

Harvard began its peppering of the Quaker netminder in earnest 10 minutes into the game. Its first real chance came in the 12th minute, when senior back Ashley Marynick blasted a powerful shot that forced Kluetmeier airborne. The Penn keeper barely tipped it over the crossbar to keep her streak alive.

She would be challenged again. Stauffer engineered several Harvard shot attempts over the next eight minutes, as she established a pattern of dribbling towards the endline and darting right-footed crosses in front of the mouth of the goal. One of the Crimson's best opportunities came off a Stauffer corner, as she lofted a jump ball from the left corner that landed on the eager cranium of fellow co-captain Devon Bingham, who one-timed a shot that was saved in front of the right corner of the goal.

The Crimson was silent for a 16-minute period before resuming its pressure in the last eight minutes of the first half. This time sophomore midfielder Meredith Stewart was the catalyst.

Stewart fired a bullet just wide to the left of the goal with 3:50 to go and also took the final shot of the half, as she one-timed a header from Moore off the mark to the right of the goal.

In the second half the Crimson picked up precisely where it left off. Seemingly every minute saw a new Harvard player shooting at Kluetmeier's record--Stauffer, junior forward Ashley Berman, Moore, Miller.

Moore's fait accompli would not finally come until shortly after a Penn score. Whether it was a sense of urgency or simply the hand of fate, Moore's equalizer and Miller's tally shortly thereafter allowed Harvard to finally make good on its threats.

"Even though we had dominated the entire way, once they got that weird goal it was kind of like, `This is an Ivy League game. We need to be in control.'" Moore said.