Seminole Win Clouds Bowl Picture

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

AP--Try this scenario: Ohio State completes the season with a perfect record, finishes No. I in the polls and does not get invited to play for the national championship.

Or this: Florida State ends up with one loss, finishes fifth in the polls and winds up with a ticket to Tempe to play for the title in the Fiesta Bowl.

Welcome to the unknown world of the Bowl Championship Series, where strength-of-schedule and power ratings count more than ever in college football's new plan to crown a true national champion.

Today, the first BCS standings will be released, The standings, based on a complex formula giving equal weight to the polls, computer ratings, strength-of-schedule and won-loss records, will determine who plays in the Fiesta Bowl on Jan. 4. The standings will be updated weekly, with the final list set to be released on Dec. 6.

The top-ranked Buckeyes (7-0) may win the rest of their games, but a weak schedule could knock them out of the 1-2 slots in the BCS standings.

On Saturday, Ohio State got no help with its strength-of-schedule as it beat a weak Northwestern team 36-10, while two of its toughest earlier opponents West Virginia and Missouri lost. The Buckeyes have only one Top 25 opponent left- No. 22 Michigan.

Florida State (7-1), meanwhile, has a good chance to gain ground under the new system. After a 34-7 win over No. 23 Georgia Tech on Saturday, the Seminoles moved up a spot to No. 5 and have two tough games left No. 15 Virginia and No. 6 Florida, They also have an earlier win over No. 8 Texas A&M.

No. 2 UCLA, a 28-16 winner over California, also had a productive day, Not only did the Bruins (6-0) remain unbeaten, but their strength-of-schedule received a boost form wins by Texas, Miami, Arizona and Oregon. UCLA plays its rescheduled game against the Hurricanes on Dec. 5. The Bruins have beaten Texas, Arizona and Oregon.

For those who thought the polls alone created enough reasons to argue about who's No. 1, have fun when the BCS standings take over. That's when it'll also be time to ask: Who's o 2?

Ohio St. 36, Northwestern 10

At Evanston. III., David Boston broke a school record with his 27th and 28th career TD catches as the Buckeyes (7-0-,4-0 Big Ten) beat the wildcats (2-6, 0-5) for the 21st straight time. Joe Germaine had his third straight 300-yard game, throwing for 342 yards and three TDs.

Ohio state coach John Cooper said the win wasn't pretty , but he'll take it.

"I've been in it long enough that I appreciate a victory," Cooper said. "It may be ugly, it may not be as one-sided as some people would have liked for it to have been, but I'll take it and day of the week."

UCLA 28, California 16

At Berkeley, Calif., the Bruins (6-0, 4-0 Pac-10) won their 16th a row as Cade McNown threw for two TDs and Jermaine Lewis ran for one and passed for another.