W. Soccer Eases Past Lions and Buffaloes

Crimson able to only muster two goals in two games

Something is not right. The once high scoring Harvard women's soccer team could only muster a 1-0 victory over Colorado (2-6) at Ohiri Field yesterday, despite dominating the visitors from the opening whistle.

Junior forward Naomi Miller was the only player to find the net for the Crimson, as she redirected a shot by defender Lauren Corkery, heading it past towering Buffaloes' goalkeeper Sloane Cox in the 68th minute. The goal was Miller's second of the year.

The narrow win is the third 1-0 result against unimpressive opposition recorded by Harvard this season. The Crimson (4-1, 1-0 Ivy League) previously struggled to defeat Boston University and Columbia by the same margin.

Particularly troubling for Harvard is the fact that it kept up a steady barrage of shots at the Colorado net but could not finish its numerous opportunities. Though Cox deserves credit for a solid performance in the Buffaloes' net, the Crimson must be blamed for scoring on just one of 30 shots it took.

The inability to convert opportunities around the goal could cost Harvard dearly before the Ivy League championship is decided.

"I don't think it's a matter of luck," Miller said. "Individually we are doing very well. We're beating opponents one-on-one, but we haven't had that many games together. We'll do a lot better finishing once we get used to playing with one another."

Of course, there are worse problems to plague soccer teams. The fact that Harvard can manufacture so many scoring chances in a match is a reflection of the skillful, positive brand of attacking soccer which it plays so well.

Offensive dominance also makes for effective defense. Harvard's back line has been steady, if largely untested thus far this season. Additionally, Harvard's goalkeepers, junior Jen Burney and sophomore Anne Browning, have had a fairly easy time of it in net. Sunday's game against Colorado was Harvard's fourth shutout in five games.

The visiting Buffaloes were playing their second game in two days following a 1-0 overtime loss at unbeaten UMass Saturday.

In only its second year with a varsitylevel women's soccer program, Colorado has succeeded in fielding a respectable soccer program under 1989 National Soccer Coaches Association of America Coach of the Year Austin Daniels, who last coached at Hartford.

Though the wins have not come readily, the Buffs have played one of the toughest schedules in the country this season, falling to national powers Florida and Nebraska before dropping two straight to UMass and Harvard.

Colorado did its best to hold off Har- vard after the home team came out fighting to open the game. Daniels fielded a surprisingly attack-minded line-up, starting three forwards, but the Buffaloes were pinned back in their own half for most of the game.

Harvard attackers kept the ball at their feet, consistently beating the Colorado defenders off the dribble, but due to the visitors' resolve and good fortune, Harvard could not score.

"They were a bit unlucky finishing, but [Harvard] is a good team," Daniels said. "We've played four ranked teams, and they are as good as any we played against."

Daniels' solicitousness toward his opponents did not carry through the entire match, as he and Harvard coach Tim Wheaton were embroiled in controversy during an injury stoppage in the first half.

When Harvard player Jamie Chu, who started in midfield, fell to the ground in agony in the 18th minute, the referee stopped play and summoned Harvard's trainer onto the pitch. An obviously concerned Wheaton followed the trainer to check on Chu, which drew protests from Daniels, as the referee had called for only one member of the Harvard staff to enter the field of play. Wheaton was given a yellow card caution for his actions, at Daniels' insistence.

Ten minutes later, Colorado's Cox was hurt while attempting to smother the ball in front of the goal. Daniels made a show of joining the medical staff to examine his player, which Wheaton protested loudly. This time, not even a warning was issued. Instead, the referee rebuked Wheaton and then restarted play.

Things quickly returned to normal, as Harvard regained the upper hand almost immediately. The outcome, however, remained in doubt until midway through the second half, when Miller's superb effort gave Harvard a much deserved lead.

The Crimson will look to shake off its scoring jinx when it travels to Boston College Tuesday afternoon before heading to New Haven this weekend for an important Ivy showdown with Yale.CrimsonHenry G. WeiGETTING AHEAD: Junior striker NAOMI MILLER heads the ball upfield.