The Changing Face of the Square

America's oldest University is one of the few examples of stability in one of the fastest changing--and most exclusive--retail enclaves in the northeast.

Here's an overview of notable merchant changes this year in the Square:

ALDO

From sandals to boots, ALDO is the place for "fashion forward" leather footware and accessories. That includes wide soles for men and platforms for women. Headquartered in Montreal, ALDO opened its franchise in December on JFK St. Patrons have the option of supporting AIDS research by adding an AIDS pin to their shoe purchase.

Anime Crash

"Anime Crash has landed," reads the banner outside an emporium of Asian pop culture that houses Jackie Chan movies, original animation cells, models and toys. "Anime," Japanese for "animation," opened June 8 on Mt. Auburn, near Tower Records.

Border Cafe

The most popular outlet for Mexican food in Harvard Square, The Border Cafe failed a fire inspection in December and was ordered by the Cambridge License Commission to close for three days. The cafe is appealing the decision to the Alcohol Beverages Control Commission, with a final decision expected late yesterday.

Brew Moon

John Harvard's has a challenger. Brew Moon, the Church St. restaurant and microbrewery, has a contemporary, atrium-like feel and serves nouveau Californian cuisine. Come during lunch and you can watch the brewery while you're waiting for your meal.

Curious George Goes to Wordsworth

Judy Blume meets H. A. Rey at the corner of JFK and Brattle--the store for the 10-year-old in all of us. With mock thatched eves, bamboo doors and a large tree growing out of the center of the service counter, it is the children's literary treehouse of the Square. Beyond books you can find educational toys such as "Gusher! The Geyser Construction Kit"--not for use in Harvard housing.

The Eliot Street Cafe

Dunkin' Donuts has never seen decor like this. Owner Duarte M. Carvalho says it cost $100,000 to make his branch of the franchise--elegantly named "The Eliot Street Cafe"--a high-class venture. With granite table-tops, polished wood trim and china cups, don't look for the standard pink and orange decor here.

Nevertheless, enthusiasts can still find favorites here such as munchkins and the classic jelly donut; sandwiches that are not offered by other branches are also served.