Departments Center in on Barker

Those students and alumni who spent their first year here eating beneath the butter-besplattered ceiling of the historic Freshman Union can finally see the renovated structure.

Renamed the Barker Center for the Humanities, the former Freshman Union officially opened its doors to the Harvard community from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. last Thursday after eighteen months of closure, allowing some of the humanities departments to begin the moving in process.

The whole Harvard community is excited about the implications of the move.

"You won't need to search for the smile on my face: just walk around, and look at the faces of the inhabitants!" said Jeremy R. Knowles, dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

According to building planners, the newly remodelled facility will include a small cafe to be run by C'est Bon--a popular Square eatery. This new dining establishment is expected to open in late June and will located in the Rotunda--part of the old dining area for first-years.

In the past week, the English department, which used to be located next door in Warren House, and the Religion department, which was formerly housed on the second floor of Phillips Brooks House, have both already moved into their new spaces in the building, said Maureen A. McCarthy, manager of the Barker Center.

"We're the first department to move in," said Mary C. Johnson, the coordinator of undergraduate studies in the English department.

Johnson expressed her admiration for the refurbished building. "It's exquisite!" she said.

Johnson also said that the English Faculty is "ecstatic" to be finally located all in the same building.

After being housed most recently in three separate buildings, said Johnson, this is the first time the entire department has been together in years.

"It's real new home for the entire faculty now," said Johnson.

Several other departments that will be moving in to the Barker Center said they are excited about the move.

Janice Thaddeus, director of studies in the history and literature department, said her department is especially pleased to be moving from its current residence in the Vanserg building to a more central location.

"It's really going to be a place where we can get to know our students much better than we could out here in Vanserg," said Thaddeus. "We're glad to be nearby again, right across from Lamont Library and near the Yard where many of the students live."

Representatives from the Afro-American Studies Department, which will move from its Harvard Square location above the CVS store on Mass. Ave. to a space in the Barker Center, likewise say they are looking forward to the move.

"We'll feel a closer connection with the larger Harvard community," said Jill L. Salk, a staff assistant with the Afro-American studies department.