Crimson, Big Green Face Off

Baseball, Softball and M. Lax All Head North to Dartmouth

This weekend, a lot of people wearing crimson will travel to rural New Hampshire with sticks and bats to do battle with a group of people who call themselves the Big Green.

Although this sounds like the preview for a war between two fashion crazed gangs, it is actually the preface to a big weekend for the Harvard baseball, softball and men's lacrosse teams.

All three Crimson teams will travel to Dartmouth this weekend.

Baseball

The weekend is most important for the baseball team, who can clinch the Red Rolfe Division title with a solid outing.

Harvard (23-11, 14-2 Ivy) currently leads Yale (12-4) by two games and Dartmouth (11-5) by three in the Red Rolfe Division of the Ivies.

The Crimson will play a double-header at Dartmouth tomorrow, before returning with the Big Green to play a twin bill at O'Donnell Field on Sunday.

If the Crimson can manage a spilt in the home-at-home series, it will clinch a second straight division title.

"This is a huge series," junior Aaron Kessler said. "We're coming in with a lot of confidence. Our pitching and hitting have been excellent. We're not expecting to lose."

The stats look good for Harvard, who has won eight straight Ivy League contests and nine of its last 10 games. The Crimson are also 8-0 on the road in league play.

In addition to these team stats, Harvard also has some impressive individual numbers. Junior Andrew Huling is second in league play batting with a .458 average. The Crimson also has the top two hurlers in the Ivies in junior Frank Hogan and sophomore Andrew Duffell.

Hogan is second in the Ivies with a 2.43 ERA, behind Duffell and his league leading 1.62 ERA.

Softball

The softball team will finish its regular season with a double-header tomorrow at Dartmouth. A sweep of the Big Green (6-24, 1-9) would give the Crimson (27-17-1 overall, 6-4) Ivies) a share of second place in the Ivy League with Princeton, behind league champion Brown.

Harvard will look for Ivy League Rookie of the Week Deb Abeles to continue her hot hitting. The fresh-man is hitting .406 in league play and is currently ranked fourth in the league in this category.