Senior Carries Torch Through City in Iowa

Like many other seniors, Jay R. Girotto '96 took time off from graduation preparations last week. But while some seniors relaxed and vacationed last Thursday, Girotto ran with the Olympic Torch through one mile of his hometown of Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

A former gymnast who decided in high school to pursue academics full-time rather than attempt to make it to this year's games, Girotto received a call from the Olympic committee about a month ago asking him to carry the torch through Cedar Rapids.

Because he was not aware that he had been nominated, Girotto said his response to the woman who called was, "You are looking for who to do what?"

After getting over the initial shock, Girotto said he was thankful for the opportunity and felt that running with the torch was a terrific way for him to still participate in the games.

"It was one of the most amazing highs of my entire life," he said.

As the day approached, Girotto said he remained fairly calm.

On the big day, they put about 20 runners on a bus and dropped them off about seven minutes before they were to run.

As the prior runner approached Girotto, his propane torch was turned on so that his torch could pick up the other runner's flame.

Girotto, wearing Champion sportswear, then ran with the propane torch toward Cedar Rapids city hall, where the torch spent the night.

According to his estimate, about 80,000 people came out to see the torch passed--an impressive turnout for a town of 110,000.

Girotto added that the run made him a celebrity, and he was even asked for an autograph by a bystander.

According to Janetha Girotto, his mother, Jay felt the event was so monumental that he bought his torch for $275.

She described the torch as being 32 inches high and weighing about three-and-a-half pounds, adding that her son plans have it mounted on a plaque.

Janetha Girotto said the torch's coming through Cedar Rapids was "the biggest thing that has hit this town in a long while. It was awesome."

She added that she believes the torch run builds unity and improves the country's morale.

Jay Girotto said he believes he was nominated for the run because he is a Coca-Cola scholar. The Coca-Cola Company is one of the main sponsors of this year's Olympic Games.

The torch began its journey in Los Angeles on April 27. It will end up in Atlanta on July 19 after traversing 42 states.