Marine Biologist, Historian Accept Tenure Offers

A marine biologist and an Ottoman history specialist have accepted tenure offers from the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

The University recruited Stephen R. Palumbi from the University of Hawaii to join the Organismic and Evolutionary Biology Department and promoted Associate Professor of History Cemal Kafadar to full professor.

"I think [Palumbi] will bring an important new dimension to biology at Harvard," said Professor of Biology Andrew H. Knoll.

Reached by telephone in his office at the University of Hawaii yesterday, Palumbi said he was looking forward to his new job.

"It's a very exciting prospect," Palumbi said. "We're delighted to be able to come and set up shop there."

Palumbi's specialty is in the ecology and evolution of marine animals, and he has been innovative in using molecular techniques in areas of marine biology, according to Knoll.

"He really makes a good fit of a number of our programs," Knoll said. "He's done [research] in a most compelling way."

Palumbi has also done research on marine conservation. According to Knoll, Palumbi has developed a technique for the molecular fingerprinting of whale meat, which would help in enforcing international laws against whale hunting.

Palumbi said he is interested in teaching a Core course on evolutionary biology and a more advanced biology course on "using molecular biology to understand the world's oceans."

"A lot of marine biology isn't sort of Jacques Cousteau-ish anymore," Palumbi said. "It still is quite a bit adventurous, but you have to use high-tech equipment to look around."

Despite the dramatic difference between the New England and South Pacific ecosystems, Palumbi said the move will not disrupt his research.

"The work is basically global," he said.

Palumbi said he will examine the marine biology on the New England coast.

He isn't worried about braving the cold weather either.

"It's beautiful here," Palumbi said. "But it's beautiful in Boston too."