Assassin!

Quincy and Leverett residents try to kill each other in their spare time

For Theodore J. Kaczynski '62, Harvard graduate and Unabomber suspect, the mailbomb is allegedly the weapon of choice, but for the last two weeks Harvard undergrads have used semi-automatic toy guns.

More than 200 students from Leverett and Quincy Houses participated in games of assassin this past month. Those who survive today have relied on luck, skill and--usually--a tremendous amount of their time.

In the game, everyone is given an assignment to eliminate another participant.

Once someone is killed, the assassin takes on the assignment of the assassinated.

Quincy has modified the rules, so that individuals team up as families.

In Quincy, the game is down to eight finalists and there will be a public 2 p.m. show-down today.

Christopher J. Hernandez '96, one of the final eight in the Quincy tournament, says he spent about two hours a day this week setting up stakeouts.

One student who "for security reasons" wished to remain anonymous, described the actions of the people trying to kill him.

"They were hiding outside of my door at midnight and they were there at seven o'clock the next morning," the student says. "I think they slept in the hallway."

"I really enjoyed it, but I was glad when I was finally killed," says Stacey L. Serafini '97, who was shot when she came out of the Quincy elevator. "It was monopolizing my life."

Jay Dickerson '98 was shot on the first day. But the Quincy resident insists that his death was intentional, saying he didn't want to waste time.

"Unlike others I have a life and I chose to die the first day," Dickerson jokingly said at dinner last night.

For other students, Assassin takes over their life. Myth and lore spread quickly through the hallways and entryways. Legends are made.

One Quincy woman spent a week trying to find out what her target looked like, since he had transferred into the house only recently. When she finally obtained a copy of his picture she enlarged it and plastered copies on the walls of his entryway.

According to Jay B. Shah '98, Leverett House Committee secretary, there have been several bold and exciting kills this year.