Running in a 'Popular' Election

The Undergraduate Council declared this year that its new campus-wide elections would help to stimulate interest in campus politics.

But as the election heads into the final stretch, the candidates say they are fighting for name recognition, rather than outlining substantive issues.

And many students say they do not know what the candidates stand for, or, even in many cases, who the candidates are.

"This election has been popular in almost every sense of the word," says Edward B. Smith III '97, one of the presidential candidates.

"The candidates are fighting to get their names on the board," says candidate Alissa S. Brotman '97.

Brotman says all the candidates are trying to generate enthusiasm with their posters so that students will read about them in campus papers.

Meanwhile, another obstacle to achieving name recognition was implemented yesterday, as the Science Center banned candidates from writing their names on the lecture hall chalkboards.

"Taking away the chalk further limits getting my name out," says Smith, who says he woke up at 7:45 each morning to draw a caricature of himself on the boards.

"My general feeling is that people don't know what the issues are," Brotman says.

"The candidates are working hard."

"There is so much bickering over whether people are taking other people's posters," Brotman adds. "This is exactly what is wrong with the U.C."

Smith says his campaign has to date not been based on the issues because "people would not even remember [them]."

And one student who tried to advertise his campaign in front of voters ran into a good deal of trouble. Benjamin R. Kaplan '99-'98, who is a Crimson editor, asked Professor of Chemistry Eric N. Jacobsen for "60 to 90" seconds to advance his cause at the beginning of Chemistry 20: "Organic Chemistry," the professor said.

Jacobsen says Kaplan spoke for several minutes and was "very annoying."

"It go to the point where we had to boot him off the stage," he says.