Community BRIEFS

* CAMBRIDGE HOUSING *

Panel to Discuss University's Handling of Rental Property

Some Harvard students argue that imperialism is alive right here at Harvard.

Harvard Community for Affordable Housing (HCAH), a student group, has organized a panel titled, "The Harvard Empire and Cambridge: Economic Violence in our Own Backyard."

Community leaders, including city councillors, students and Cambridge residents, will discuss the University's management of its Cambridge rental property tomorrow at 7 p.m. in Sever Hall 113.

At issue is the University's decision to gradually convert 700 formerly rent-controlled apartment units to housing for University affiliates.

Although the University has promised to raise rents to market level slowly and to keep 10 percent of its formerly rent-controlled housing stock affordable for 20 years, City Councillor Francis H. Duehay '55 said Harvard must do more.

"The city cannot make up for the loss of rent control by itself," said Duehay, who will speak at Sunday's event. "We need all of the institutions in the city to do their part."

City Councillor Michael P. Sullivan, who will also be one of Sunday's panelists, said he fears removing these properties from the city's housing stock will cause rents to rise in certain neighborhoods.

In the past, HCAH has organized petitions and written letters urging Harvard administrators to keep the University's formerly rent-controlled properties affordable. The group also participated in two December vigils outside Holyoke Center. --R. Alan Leo

* BY THE RIVER *

Winthrop House Will Switch To Card-Key Access Soon

The phase-out of metal keys at Winthrop House is approaching, but residents are not happy about the proposal.

House officials are installing card-key readers at the main entrances that will eventually elimiate the need for metal keys, according to Betty Byrne, assistant to the masters.

Byrne said the house was "not actually on the card access system yet." But the main entries will be activated soon as part of the universal key-card access program implemented in most houses earlier this year, she said.

The remainder of the house will be granted complete key-card access until the computer systems can be left off-line for an entire summer--probably following the 1996-97 school year, Byrne said.

Winthrop House Committee Chair Nicole M. Rekant '97 said students prefer their traditional metal keys.

"Everyone I've talked to is fairly disappointed," Rekant said. "You have to have your keys out to get into your room anyway. It just seems that the system has worked for this long--why change it?"

Since universal key card access only operates part of the day, Rekant said, few house residents wish to give up their keys at this time.   --Valerie J. MacMillan